The Silvermans

The Silvermans
Mommy Tips

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mommy tip: Help your children to be brave. Give them hope & strength.


Years ago I heard a man say "I was brought up in a household
 where fear was not tolerated."
  It was a new concept for me but I liked it.  I remember being surprised at how young & easily children could be afraid.  I want to be brave & wise
 and instill both of these traits in my children. 

I remember in one of my Psychology classes the professor explaining that feelings are a physical reaction in one's body.  I believe fear is a feeling.  

It is a feeling that is obviously indicating some kind of danger,
 whether is it real or perceived.  

When it comes to feelings we can often times make a choice.




Here are two possible reactions to fear:



When my kids have gotten scared I've had them acknowledge the fear, then look for solutions or change.  I also have them verbally say something like "I will not be afraid of this anymore because..." I'll even have them repeat it several times if it was something really scary.

I want my kids to learn how to manage and overcome fear.  Deuteronomy 3:28 says: "Help him to be brave. Give him hope & strength."

When it comes to us Mommies overcoming our fears this proverb is really encouraging:



Beautiful Mothers be clothed in strength and dignity.  Face your future 
and your children's future with expectant joy.
Keep up the good work!
Love,
Rosa

1 comment:



  1. Rosa, I am really glad to see you doing this blog. God has given you the gift of wisdom and the opportunity to share it. I know your scholastic qualifications, and as impressive as they are, I am more impressed by your sense of grace in dealing with and caring for your children as a mother. You and Gregg have been blessed with a healthy family and a wonderful marriage. I know many times you guys have felt that it is all you can do to just survive, but by standing with Gregg in unswerving faith, you guys have exhibited a bravery too rare in our present culture, and it is that courage and that bravery that is continuing to provide you guys with the chance to not just survive, but to absolutely soar to heights that many who are persuaded by the storms of fear will never get to see. Becca and I have kept you guys in our prayers throughout your time back home now because we need families to be strong out there, wherever you find home. We love all of you very much, give your boys big hugs for us because we can't quite reach them from over here.
    "Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it will be matched by your completion of it." II Corinthians 8:11

    ReplyDelete