The Silvermans

The Silvermans
Mommy Tips

Friday, March 21, 2014

Mommy tip: Help your kids seek resolutions when angry

This is a funny magnet on my friend's fridge:


So what happens when things get ugly and go from 
yelling because you care to yelling because you're angry???


It's not fun to be angry and
 it is certainly not fun to see kids throwing angry fits either!  



Some of the best advice I've come across in helping parents & kids with anger is the "anger ladder."  I read about it in "The 5 Love Languages" book by G. Chapman.  So helpful!!!  He writes: "The goal is to move the child from passive-aggressive behavior and verbal abuse to a calm, even pleasant response that seeks resolution.  This is a long process that involves training, example, and patience."

Click on the link for the full ladder on page 160:

The Five Love Languages of Children - Page 159 - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=0802479596

I first read it about 2 years ago.  It really works.  I've been repeating over and over again to my kids: "ok you're angry let's work things out and find a solution."  Just recently my husband and I got into a heated discussion.  My son walked into the room and said: "listen, all you need to do is find a solution."  I can tell you we found a solution pretty quickly that time!  I was humbled and glad to see that my son has been paying attention to my words about seeking resolutions.

Bottom line: it's normal to get angry.  Find resolutions as quickly as you can. 


Keep strong and keep up the good work beautiful mothers!
Love,
Rosa




No comments:

Post a Comment